insta thanks + mixed media

9.10.2012

Hoping you have had a chance to sign up for RhonnaDesigns newsletter. Last week with the birthday celebration of the shop in full swing, she sent out daily newsletters daily that were outstanding insight into creativity, her creative exercises, and details into her current design inspiration. There is so much to share, but today is about using her kits in hybrid fashion to create a little mix media.

jmpgirl ~ insta thanks

The InstaThanks kits are brand new and available in the shop.
These kits, like all the other InstaLovin' kits, can be used on your phone through the app called Phonto to add digi details and fun to your Instagram photos.
But today, you will find some InstaThanks as part of a little home decor piece I am so happy to have up on our piano.

jmpgirl ~ insta thanks

Lots of layers happening here. Finding lots of layers in many of my current projects.
The very first layer is vintage book paper attached horizontally.
A pattern from the SpookyJunque BackgroundKit was used as the cream and black large chevron pattern next. Then for a soft effect, plus to tone down the black a bit, a piece of vellum was layered on top of the chevron.
Atop of the vellum is a pattern I created in pse with the TextureBrushes Kit. I simply played around with the different digital brushes and colors until I was happy with the effect. Much the same way we do with paper on our work tables.
And the last pattern is one of the ledger designs from the GratefulGlam Background Kit. I just loved mixing all these patterns together and creating the texture that it did.
Next is a manila tag from my stash, and then one of the InstaThanks png's was stamped in pse, then printed on cardstock and trimmed and notched. The edges were inked with some Tim Holtz distress ink to add to the vintagey feel I was going for.
Another of the png's was stamped in pse as well, and was used as a little flag banner on the bottom of the piece.

jmpgirl ~ insta thanks


As a tip, I usually save scraps of printable background from previous projects and find they always get used. Like the little ephemera that sticks out from under neath the thankful quote. I trimmed and even paper punched a few pieces to add to the layering effect. Not sure always if it is a good habit to save all my scraps. But always happy when I can put them to use again.

Love all the InstaLovin' kits and how terribly versatile and fun they are.

Now go...create a little mixed media love for your home today.
And be sure to visit RhonnaDesigns blog tomorrow for CreativeTeamTuesday.

7 comments:

  1. So true and so beautifully created sweet Jamie!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you'll be selling these on Etsy, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE this project!!! It would look super cute at my house !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breathtaking and gorgeous and so in awe of your talent. And yes, I save scraps, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh, Jamie...you sooooo rock the hybrid projects...amazing inspiration. I have to get the kids ready for school, but as soon as they're out the door, I'm at my computer...you really really are such a huge inspiration to me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. loving the look & layers to this...

    ReplyDelete